Day 1 slideshow
This course provides an overview of the importance of international business and trade in the global economy and explores the factors that influences success in international markets.
Students will learn about the techniques and strategies associated with marketing, distribution, and managing international business effectively. This course prepares students for post-secondary programs in business, including international business, marketing, and management.
BUSINESS, TRADE AND THE ECONOMY
- Enduring Understanding: Business and trade foster economic prosperity, competition, and dependence among Canadians and citizens all around the world.
FACTORS INFLUENCING SUCCESS IN INTERNATIONAL MARKETS
- Enduring Understanding: Success in international markets relates to overcoming various challenges and understanding not only a country’s market, but global support structures as well.
MARKETING CHALLENGES, APPROACHES AND DISTRIBUTION
- Enduring Understanding: Logistics and improved productivity lay the foundation for competitive advantage to be discovered and exploited.
GLOBAL ENVIRONMENT FOR BUSINESS
- Enduring Understanding: Knowledge of global trends and societal change are integral part of developing a practical, real world understanding of international business.
Unit 1: Introduction to International Trade
- Economix Reading - Adam Smith and the history of Economic thought
- CATAN reflection assignment
- Concept Mapping and Guns, Germs and Steel
- Canadian Company 411 project and link to Brochure template
- Readings for Trade Barriers;
- Exchange Rate/Currency activity
- Trade Deficit Reading and questions
Wednesday, Oct 3rd, 2018
- ~30 Multiple Choice/True-False questions on anything we covered in Chapter 1 or 2 (notes or text work)
- 4 Short answer questions - pick only 3 to answer. More detailed or 'Give examples of' type questions compared to MC/TF
- 1 case - A Situation is given, read and answer in point form/ full sentences, depending on the questions being asked.
Unit 2 - Culture, Politics and Economics
- Unit 2 Slideshow
- China Rising Reflection Project Video Link
- Effective Digital Writing
- Travel Advisory Project
Test: Thursday, November 8th, 2018
Format similar to First Unit test. Review here:
Unit 3 - Trade Agreements, Organizations, Social Issues and NGOs
- Unit 3 SlideShow
- Trade Agreements and Organizations worksheet
- Where to Invade Next worksheet
- Transformation Maps Summary Sheet - use website below
- Transformation Maps - discussed in class
- NGO Project Concept Note blank copy and Sample (Sample is a fake proposal for a bad idea - yours will be much better).
- Unit 3 Test
Unit 4 - Marketing and Logistics
- Unit 4 Slideshow
- World According to Sesame Street video reflection questions
- Marketing Plan Presentation Overview
- Kahoot! Unit Review (Sample Multiple Choice/True-False Questions)
- Unit 4 Google Form Quiz - login via ugCloud required
Chapman's Ice Cream International Expansion
Sample report/Marketing expansion plan (missing APA formatted references)
Another Sample Report
Sample Presentation - Notice the focus is mostly on the expansion plan with only a small portion spent on country overview - Only relevant stats are highlighted.
- Exam will feature a blend of Multiple Choice/True False on Scantron, as well as Short Answer questions and a Case.
- It will be similar in format to previous Unit Tests and students will have 2 hours to complete it.
- It has a 15% weight on student's overall grade.
- Review Bundle
- Dunkin' Donuts Reading for Exam (reading will also be on exam, this is meant as a preview)
Textbook Online Link - Fundamentals of International Business
- CIA World Factbook
- Ministry of International Affairs Tariff Info
- Online Book - Kiss, Bow or Shake Hands